NYC Studio & Art Department Tours
- Thursday, July 3 | $30 per person
- 10am-11:30am Tours
Choose one of the following morning tours.
- Complex, Sean Bungarner
- Conde Nast Portfolio, Robert Priest
- Curious Pictures, Richard Winkler & Dominie Mahl
- Izak, illustrator
- Luba Lukova, illustrator
- The New York Times Magazine, Janet Froelich & Arem Duplessis
- Pushpin, Seymour Chwast SOLD OUT
- TIME, Cynthia Hoffman & DW Pine
- 2pm - 3:30pm Tours
Choose one of the following afternoon tours
- Jessie Hartland, illustrator
- Frances Jetter, illustrator
- Matt Mahurin, illustrator, photographer, filmmaker
- The New York Times Book Review, Nicholas Blechman
- Pentagram, Kurt Koepfle
- SpotCo, Theatrical Advertising
- Sam Weber & Christopher Silas Neal, illustrators SOLD OUT
- 10am-11:30am Tours
- Remember the AI-AP Graphic Arts Weekend studio tours? Don't miss out on this great opportunity to visit the studios of seasoned illustrators living in NYC and/or a creative director of one of today's top magazines, agencies and design firms. Your two tours are scheduled at 10am and 2pm and each will last for one to one-and-a-half hours, leaving plenty of time for travel, lunch on your own and time to get back for the ICON5 opening ceremonies. Chaperones leave from the Roosevelt Hotel lobby one hour before each tour begins or you may travel on your own.
Complete the Studio Tour registration form and return by fax or mail. Tour reservations are limited and made on a first-come-first-served basis. Please indicate a first and second choice for each time slot. Alternate studios will be assigned if your first choice is full. Tickets with studio addresses and free MetroCards will be provided at registration. Tickets are required for entry to each studio and late-comers will not be permitted. Reservations and exchanges will be taken on the day of, only as available. All tours are limited and subject to change. Sign up early for this inside view of New York City's creative world.
Meet your tour guide at 9am and 1pm sharp in the Roosevelt Hotel lobby.
Society of Illustrators & Illustration House Tour
- Thursday, July 3, 10am - 3pm
- $45 per person | 12 person minimum - Limited to 40
- Join ICON5 tour guides Stephanie Plunkett, assistant director of The Norman Rockwell Museum at Stockbridge; Eric Fowler, chair of the Permanent Collection Committee at the
Society of Illustrators of NY; and Terry Brown, SI's Director Emeritus for a two-part romp through the most important collections of original, vintage illustration in NY. The tour begins at the
Society of Illustrators' 1875 carriage house. Terry Brown will reveal the building's secrets of celebrity, fame and dark past. Stephanie Plunkett and Eric Fowler will unearth gems by Norman Rockwell,
Jessie Willcox Smith, Maxfield Parrish, JC Leyendecker, and many more. Stop for lunch-on-your-own at 11:30 at nearby Burger Heaven (Lexington & 62nd St). Then at 1pm, continue over to Illustration
House, the eminent gallery for the original works by American illustrators, to meet proprietors Walt and Roger Reed, authors of the book The Illustrator in America: 1860-2000. Our guides
are rich with anecdotes on illustrators past and present.
Meet at the Society of Illustrators, 128 East 63rd Street.
Children’s Book Tour
Books of Wonder & Bemelmans Bar
- Thursday, July 3, 10am - 1pm
- $45 per person | 12 person minimum – Limited to 30
- A short subway ride will take you to New York City's oldest and largest independent children's bookstore, Books of Wonder, the city's leading specialist in children's literature both new and old, featuring their wall of old, rare, and collectible children's books and original children's book art. Finish up at the Carlyle Hotel's Bemelmans Bar, featuring Ludwig Bemelmans' only surviving mural open to the public. Meet your guide 10:00am sharp in the Lobby.